Home » General » General » Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg
Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #440] Mon, 31 March 2014 11:55 Go to next message
moraff  is currently offline moraff  Finland
Hi.

I'm planning to cycle round lake Lagoda on June-July and my route is from Sortavala-Lotinapelto-Nova Lagoda-Vyborg, but I'm little bit concerned how I can cycle from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg without cycling through St. Petersburg

Is there any solution for this?

Here's my preliminary route plan:

index.php?t=getfile&id=33&private=0

BR, Jani

Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #441 is a reply to message #440 ] Wed, 02 April 2014 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvsar  is currently offline vvsar  Russian Federation
Hi,

Why not? I guess you used Google maps to draw your route and found appropriate roads. Tar may be not in a best condition but cycling is definitely possible. It all depends on the type of your bicycle. Cycling on a road bike is not much pleasant sometimes in Russia due to bad quality of tar.

(+) It is hardly possible to cycle just along the border from Svetogorsk because of the restricted area (border zone). You will have to cycle to south to Kamennogorsk and then turn to east.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 April 2014 02:53]

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #442 is a reply to message #440 ] Sun, 06 April 2014 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
repovesi  is currently offline repovesi  Russian Federation
Hi Jani,

it's normal journay except North-West part, because it's restricted Frontier Zone. See two articles about frontier zones in Leningrad area and Karelia Republic (in Russian, use translate.google.com).

It's theoretical restrictions. In practise, there is the row of security barrier along the border and around the Rented Zone of Saimaa Canal, see for examples 1, 2, 3. And numbers of mobile groups of Russian frontiers of FSB, which checks your permit for enter to Frontier Zone.

index.php?t=getfile&id=35&private=0

And it's not good idea to use the roads which I marked as Yellow for huge traffic. Use alternative ways, see good map service there.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 April 2014 23:17]

Sincerely yours, Mr. Repovesi
Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #444 is a reply to message #440 ] Tue, 22 April 2014 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Victor and Repovesi for great answers!

I'll start planning the routes near St. Petersburg and the svetogorsk area.

BR, Jani
Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #445 is a reply to message #440 ] Fri, 09 May 2014 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Repovesi: I'm still wondering the green path that you drawn into map.

I couln't find any information about the Road conditions, but I found a quite good map from www.karjalankartat.fi and I'm planning to cycle a route Antrea-Hiitola-Kurkijoki-Lahdenpohja-Sortavala.

Is that route possible and can I use the grey colored sections in the map, and are the roads gravel or asphalt?

index.php?t=getfile&id=36&private=0

Thank you for all help, Jani

Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #446 is a reply to message #440 ] Fri, 09 May 2014 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's updated map including Sortavala Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=37&private=0

answers [message #447 is a reply to message #445 ] Mon, 12 May 2014 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Jani,

>I'm planning to cycle a route Antrea-...

Antrea is Kamennogorsk now. This name is on the Russian maps, road labels, and railways timetables. Another names (Hiitola, Kurkijoki, Lahdenpohja, Sortavala) are correct.

>can I use the grey colored sections in the map, and are the roads gravel or asphalt?

Way from Hiitola to Kurkijoki is roads gravel, from Kurkijoki till Sortavala via Lahdenpohja is bad asphalt.

Roads from Antrea/Kamennogorsk to Hijtola are shown on the good map.

NB! The closed Frontier zone on Leningrad area is there, and in Republic Karelia is there.

Officially you can't travel in that zones exclude way from/to Customs points along big asphalt roads.
In case you trespass despite the restrictions and be caught by Russian Frontiers, you will be penalized for 500 Rub (10 EUR), arested, and possibly deported from Russia with ban to entry for 5 years.

So, I recomend to cycle not via Frontier Zones: from Antrea/Kamennogorsk to Hijtola to South from railway gage (rearward boundary of Frontier zone), via Krasny Sokol, Lazurnoe, Muhaljovo, Maslovo, Zavetnoe, Sevastjanovo, Kuznechnoe.

...Another questions?

Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #448 is a reply to message #445 ] Mon, 12 May 2014 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moraff wrote on Fri, 09 May 2014 14:41
a quite good map from www.karjalankartat.fi

Historical map, not geographical ones.
For example: railway gage from Elinenvaara (RUS) to Rautjarvi (FIN) was demolished in 1983, and the gage from Elinenvaara (RUS) to Parikkala (FIN) was demolished in 1991.

Re: Best route from Nova Lagoda to Vyborg round St. Petersburg [message #449 is a reply to message #448 ] Tue, 13 May 2014 18:50 Go to previous message
Thank you again for good information that you told me about the Frontier zones.

And also I want to apologize for the maps, those indeed were historical maps and should not be used on base of navigation.

I thought also, that it is wiser to go by train from Lodenoye Pole (Lotinapelto) to st. Petersburg due to high / heavy traffic on that road section.

I'll head back to my drawing board planning the trip, as I have only one month time left to plan this.

Previous Topic:The Crimea will be covered by Russia visa from 25 april 2014
Next Topic:Types of closed areas in Russian Federation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 16 10:11:19 MSK 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00744 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.