Home » General » General » Bicycle tour in Russia (From Sochi to Yalta by bicycle)
Bicycle tour in Russia [message #421] Mon, 18 March 2013 23:58 Go to next message
ichbincan  is currently offline ichbincan
I am from Turkey and planning a bicycle tour in Russia and in Ukraine. I'll ride from Sochi to Yalta by using the Sochi - Anapa - Rostov on Don - Mariupol - Yalta destination. I have never been to Russia, so I have some questions about this country.
Is this route secure and comfortable for biking and tent camping? On the way, do I have a chance to meet with wild animals, especially bears and wolves? Is camping alone dangerous? Are there thieves on this region?
Re: Bicycle tour in Russia [message #422 is a reply to message #421 ] Tue, 19 March 2013 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvsar  is currently offline vvsar  Russian Federation
Hello,

Your colleague Gürkan Genç recently crossed Ukraine an Russia and currently keeps cycling in Sweden. I'm sure you can contact him via his website and ask for advice.

The area where you are going to cycle is densely populated, so you will hardly meet bears or volves. there are some venomous snakes but they prefer to crawl away from people.

Camping is generally safe. Thieves, unfortunately, is a real problem, especially in big cities. Try not to leave your bicycle unattended. If it is impossible, use a good lock and bring most valuable things with you.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
icon14.gif  Re: Bicycle tour in Russia [message #423 is a reply to message #422 ] Tue, 19 March 2013 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ichbincan  is currently offline ichbincan
Thank you Victor.
Re: Bicycle tour in Russia [message #424 is a reply to message #423 ] Thu, 04 April 2013 13:05 Go to previous message
Peter  is currently offline Peter  Russian Federation
also.. I've never been there by bike (and I didn't think about this when I was here), but I read newspapers and etc. Very Happy
ichbincan, Sochi and Ukraina aren't too far from Turkey to be filled by bears and wolves - they are basically north forest animals Laughing

There is more important problem - criminals, for example. But I don't think there is a big difference to Turkey.
The highways are mainly used by truck drivers, and you can trust them in case of problem (they may not speak English).
And there isn't any cycling infrastructure along the roads.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 April 2013 13:09]

Previous Topic:bicycle tour from Budapest via Bohemia to Berlin
Next Topic:Would you bike in Moscow city Centre?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 16 10:17:55 MSK 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00851 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.