Home » General » General » Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border (Discuss the route as in GPS-Track on http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00001087)
Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #350] Fri, 07 September 2012 13:59 Go to next message
Thimble  is currently offline Thimble  Germany
Hello,

I have published a draft of track for a tour from Iwangorod via Petersburg, Vyborg to the Finnish border on http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00001087.

The route follows the VeloPiter proposal for the R1 to Peterhof. From Peterhof to starting point of road A123 it is an attempt to follow smaller streets and lanes to cross the city of Sankt Petersburg. A123 is followed to Vyborg. From Vyborg to the Finnnish border route follows M10/E18 with some exeptions if smaller streets are in parallel.

I ask you for help for the following topics:

1. With regard to the route itself I would like to get your opinion if this track is a good choice, which parts should be changed to better alternatives e.g. due to heavy traffic, too bad conditions or inadmissibility of use for cyclists. Can you please check the track on the map http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00001087 on detailled level.
    Which solution do you propose to cross the KAD south of Peterhof (geo position 59.816 29.859). As I have heard it is not possible to follow the way along the channel/brook since the KAD has been built.
  2. Would you suggest to use public transport to cross the city of Sankt Petersburg? If YES, which lines and stations are the best to use.
  3. There is some accomodation mentionend on the map on http://www.oblmap.ru/ which I did not find on the Internet. Can you please provide name, address, geo position and phone/url if available for accomodation

• in Kotly (guessed position 59.6038 28.7701)
    • in Ermilovo (guessed position 60.36413 28.7866)
    • in Primorsk (guessed position 60.36767 28.6071)
    • in Sovetskiy (guessed position 60.53109 28.6732)

Thanks in advance
Udo

[Updated on: Fri, 07 September 2012 18:13]

Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #351 is a reply to message #350 ] Fri, 07 September 2012 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvsar  is currently offline vvsar  Russian Federation
Hello, Udo! Welcome to velorussia.org again!

Thimble wrote on Fri, 07 September 2012 13:59

Which solution do you propose to cross the KAD south of Peterhof (geo position 59.816 29.859). As I have heard it is not possible to follow the way along the channel/brook since the KAD has been built.

Yes, it is difficult to cross the KAD along the canal, but you drew your track with a proper bypass that crosses the KAD via a bridge.

Would you suggest to use public transport to cross the city of Sankt Petersburg? If YES, which lines and stations are the best to use.

It is hardly possible. We have no railway routs that cross the whole city. As for the underground (metro) and buses, bicycles are not allowed to them, unless they are folded and properly packed. So, you have at least to cross the city center from one railway station to the other (Baltiyskiy vokzal, ?‘?°?»?‚???????????? ???????·?°?» --> Finlyandskiy vokzal, ?¤?????»?????????????? ???????·?°?»).
Anyway, the city is worth staying for at least a couple of days. Also, some of us may accompany you, if informed about your arrival in advance.

As for accomodation, we will reply a little later, upon gathering the information.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #352 is a reply to message #350 ] Fri, 07 September 2012 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
repovesi  is currently offline repovesi  Russian Federation

• in Kotly (guessed position 59.6038 28.7701)
    Wrong possition. Wreck of old military airport. No hotel.

• in Ermilovo (guessed position 60.36413 28.7866)
    No information about hotel at this place.

• in Primorsk (guessed position 60.36767 28.6071)
    Hotel "Malachit". Primorsk-town, Plajazhnaya str., 2. Phone:
    +78137876239.

• in Sovetskiy (guessed position 60.53109 28.6732)
    Hotel "Chaika" ("Die M?¶wen"). Sovetskiy-town, Shkolnaya str., 27.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 September 2012 21:17]

Sincerely yours, Mr. Repovesi
Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #353 is a reply to message #352 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mr. Repovesi,
thanks for sending the information about the accommodation.
Udo
Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #354 is a reply to message #351 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Victor,
thanks for your answers.

Of course a stay in Sankt Petersburg is mandatory. So the question with regard to the public transport was not meant to pass Sankt Petersburg without stop. The idea is to avoid passing suburbs by bike. I took both train stations into my documentation.
But if going by bike can you please make a proposal how to pass from 59.847, 30.213 to 60.135, 29.985. Is the track on my website feasable or should it be changed?
Nevertheless I will mention on biroto.eu that some of you may accompany bikers, if informed about arrival in advance.

With regard to the R1 proposal:
- as I heard it is difficult to cross the railways at 59.460, 28.770. Is a better course to cross at 59.4376, 28.7818?
- from Lopuchinka (59.727, 29.422) to Gostilizy (59.748, 29.623): is it better to stay on P35 due to the bad surface on the R1 porposal?
- from Sabrodje (59.743, 29.742) to the channel (59.777 29.754): it looks like grassland without a way.
..Is it realy possible to pass there with a 30 or 40 kg bike even if the weather is rainy? Is following the P35 a suitable bypass?

With regard to the segment from Petersburg to the finish border (I know it's not the topic of this forum):
- Is there somebody who is taking care for the track of the Baltic Sea Cycle Route?

With regard to the segment from Wyborg to the finish border:
- Is it better to use the E18 or to cycle along the A127 to the finish border?

Cheers
Udo

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2012 18:54]

Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #355 is a reply to message #354 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zmey  is currently offline Zmey  Russian Federation
Well, I by myself went 2 year ago from Ivangorod to Petersburg by R1. And I may say to you follownig:

1. R1 now in Russia is virtual and exist in two variants.
- asphalt one (with heavy traffic)
- and mostly offroud way.

So my advice is to go by offroud way, because this is only possibility to see Russia as is. We are not proud of motorways. We are famouse with small roads and passways. Yes sometimes after rains some of them become wet. Smile. But you are going in Russia. THis kind of roads - a part of our way of living. You may go by asphalt millions kilometres in Europe.

Then: after Sabrod'e - a few kilometres very dirt (after rains) road. But no traffic at all Smile. It'll be difficult after raing, but it is adviseble to test. Smile

From Lopukhinka... You may choose R 35. No problem.

I taking care about R1 and Eurovelo10 traks in Russia.

E18 - NO NO and NO. You are to young to be dead. I advise you go as eurovelo10 will go - by A123. You MAY go by e18 only till Beloostrov. THis is more o less give you a chance to survive
Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #356 is a reply to message #355 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you all for your contributions.

I have considered your suggestions and the modified track is stored at http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00001087

A request to all cyclists who use this track: please give some feedback what is good and in particular what needs to be improved!

Cheers
Udo

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2012 23:53] by Moderator

Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #357 is a reply to message #356 ] Sun, 16 September 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thimble wrote on Thu, 13 September 2012 19:04
Thank you all for your contributions.

I have considered your suggestions and the modified track is stored at http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00001087

A request to all cyclists who use this track: please give some feedback what is good and in particular what needs to be improved!

Cheers
Udo

The track is OK, excluding the part within the city. But, if you intend to stay in the city a couple of days, it doesn't matter.

Earlier you asked about crossing the suburbs by train. You can board the local train at Novy Petergof (1) or Strel'na (2) and arrive to Baltiyskiy Vokzal mentioned above. Upon leaving the city? you can board at Finlyandskiy Vokzal and reach Sestroretsk (1), Beloostrov (2), or Zelenogorsk (3).

If you decide to start cycling from the city, it's better to cycle by the road along the shore: there is a pavement till Sestroretsk.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #358 is a reply to message #357 ] Mon, 17 September 2012 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
If you decide to start cycling from the city, it's better to cycle by the road along the shore: there is a pavement till Sestroretsk.

Based on the track from Zmey:
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cspnukifcxlmvsyj
I have made modifications at the start (section from Stadion Petrovskiy to Primorskiy prospekt added) and at the end (avoiding the part along the beach) of the track
and in the middle to avoid further part along M10 before and in Sestroretsk
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=lkrgyhwxnmcilojz

What is your opinion on this tracks?

[Updated on: Mon, 17 September 2012 15:22]

Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #359 is a reply to message #357 ] Mon, 17 September 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
The track is OK, excluding the part within the city.

With regard to the track within the city there is a new proposal on
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=mkvoxgaxjyusfvcm
It is based on tours which are already on GPSies and which look as to be recorded while cycling.

What is your opinion on this new track?

When looking at these other traks I became uncertain if the route from Petergof through the parks is open for cyclists:
- is it possible to go straight ahead at 59.8798, 29.9489 or is it nesseccary to go the slope to the street and back again?
- is it possible to go ahead through Nizhnyaya doroga at 59.8712, 29.985
Re: Iwangorod - Petersburg - Vyborg - Finnish border [message #360 is a reply to message #358 ] Wed, 19 September 2012 14:52 Go to previous message
Thimble wrote on Mon, 17 September 2012 15:02

Based on the track from Zmey:
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cspnukifcxlmvsyj

This track involves forest paths, tideline, sand spots and other obstacles. I can't recommend it for a tourist with a heavily loaded bike. Although such a terrain is not unusual for our weekend trips.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Previous Topic:From Pulkovo Airport to St. Petersburg City Centre
Next Topic:Macau passport holders may entry to Russia without visas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 16 10:15:33 MSK 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01483 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.