Home » General » General » Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) (Looking for advice/tips)
Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) [message #289] Wed, 18 April 2012 11:40 Go to next message
s.boele  is currently offline s.boele  Finland
Hello people!

I'm an exchange student in Joensuu from The Netherlands. In June I plan to visit St. Petersburg and Moscow in Russia. I would really like to go there by bike and I am looking for some more information. I was thinking that I could take the train from Joensuu to Imatra first, which is quite close to the Russian border and then cycle from Imatra to St. Petersburg. This is about 200km according to Google Maps.

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice/tips on how to plan this trip. How are the roads in Russia? What about safety and finding accommodation for 2 nights on the way from Imatra to St. Petersburg? Cycling 200km should be possible in 3 days I suppose.

Looking forward to your replies!

Sander

[Updated on: Wed, 18 April 2012 11:40]

Re: Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) [message #290 is a reply to message #289 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvsar  is currently offline vvsar  Russian Federation
Sander, welcome to velorussia.org forum!

Roads in Russia are not in good condition in many places: tar is with cracks and potholes. Anyway, cycling is possible.

Cycling in Russia is more dangerous than in Europe due to lower level of driving culture. There are no separated cycling paths (with a very little exceptions). While cycling, wear bright colored cloths and try to avoid sudden maneuvers.

For the way from Vyborg to Zelenogorsk, I would recommend the road along the shore with low traffic on weekdays (it rises on weekends). From Zelenogorsk to St. Petersburg, you can use the pavement.

There are hotels in Vyborg, Primorsk and Zelenogorsk. We will report the contacts later.

Never leave your bicycle unattended in the streets, even locked. No problem for thieves to brake locks, whatever perfected. It's O'K to cycle around, but if you are going to visit museums or other places like that, leave your bicycle in the hotel and use public transport.

Be prepared that receiving the Russian visa is not so easy. I am not sure, for instance, that consulates in Lappeenranta and Imatra are authorized to issue visas for citizen of countries other than Finland.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Re: Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) [message #291 is a reply to message #289 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s.boele  is currently offline s.boele  Finland
Thank you for the reply! A lot useful information there! I will see if I can plan the route, do you know if there's some good maps of this part of Russia?

I applied for a Russian single entry visa yesterday. Hopefully I will get it. If I get the visa I will definitely go on this cycling adventure Smile
Re: Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) [message #292 is a reply to message #291 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvsar  is currently offline vvsar  Russian Federation
s.boele wrote on Wed, 18 April 2012 16:26
I will see if I can plan the route, do you know if there's some good maps of this part of Russia?

Google maps and their Russian analogue Yandex maps are good enough for route planning. As for paper maps, I hope that there is something in your local bookstore.

Keep in mind language problems. In Russian, we use Cyrillic alphabet (road pointers are duplicated in Latin on the main roads only), and quite a few people speak English, especially in the countryside.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Re: Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) [message #293 is a reply to message #292 ] Fri, 20 April 2012 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eugenio  is currently offline eugenio
Dag
For Finland-Russia consider local commuter train from Vyborg to St-Petersburg or to Zelenogorsk if you insist on cycling for a part of the road. The distance between Svetogorsk and Vyborg is suitable for cycling but the problem is that unlike Finland Russian roads often do not have paved sidewalks on which you can cycle. Usually is is sande path nex to the road. There is even a small train from Svetogorsk to Vyborg but it goes only twice a day at 5.05 and 14.25 but you better check it before departure
Re: Imatra (Finland) to St. Petersburg(Russia) [message #294 is a reply to message #289 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 00:29 Go to previous message
repovesi  is currently offline repovesi  Russian Federation
I think is not good idea duo to huge traffic on the roads. I prefer travel from/to Imatra to SaintPetersburg on bike using this path.

Then catch the local train from Mullupelto-halt till Saint-Petersburg. Timetable (change the date from 28.04.2012 to yours). Ticket costs approx. 250rub/person + approx. 50rub/cycle. 1EUR=approx. 39RUR.

Sincerely yours, Mr. Repovesi
Previous Topic:Frontier between Russia and Mongolia
Next Topic:Macau passport holders will be able to entry to Russia without visas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 16 10:13:26 MSK 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00308 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.