Home » General » General » ATM Money dispensing machine (ATMs in Kaliningrad Lithuania Latvia and Estonia)
ATM Money dispensing machine [message #222] Sat, 12 March 2011 09:30 Go to next message
usea  is currently offline usea  Australia
Hi My wife and I will be cycling the Rl this summer and wonder what the availabilty of ATM machines are in the following countries Kaliningrad (Russia) Lithuania,Latvia,Estonia.
Also has anybody had the pleasure of camping in these countries or is that not a pleasure? Your view would be much apreciated.
Re: ATM Money dispensing machine [message #224 is a reply to message #222 ] Wed, 16 March 2011 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zmey  is currently offline Zmey  Russian Federation
ATM - is a name of bank? I never heard it in Russia. But "bank mashines" is more or less spread in towns. At leas one in town should be Smile. In villages you will not find it.
Re: ATM Money dispensing machine [message #225 is a reply to message #222 ] Wed, 16 March 2011 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvsar  is currently offline vvsar  Russian Federation
Hi,

ATMs are more or less widespread in Russia and Baltic countries. Cards are normally accepted in supermarkets and hotels, but I'm not sure about small shops and campings.

Most exchange offises in Russia deal with US dollars and euros as well as currencies of the countries neighbouring to the corresponding region (Lithuania and Poland as for Kaliningrad), it may be difficult to change Australian dollars.

"Wild" camping is generally permitted in Russia but not recommended for foreigners for security reasons. Staying in official camping sites is O'K.

Bicycly yours,
Victor
Re: ATM Money dispensing machine [message #226 is a reply to message #224 ] Thu, 17 March 2011 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Zemey an ATM stands for automatic teller machine in Australia, they seam to have many different names all over the world and now I read here that ATMs are available in most places in your part of the world that will make our travels easier.
Re: ATM Money dispensing machine [message #227 is a reply to message #225 ] Thu, 17 March 2011 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks VVSAR have taken that onboard and have found a couple of sites with camping information.
Re: ATM Money dispensing machine [message #228 is a reply to message #222 ] Thu, 17 March 2011 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
romanycz  is currently offline romanycz  Russian Federation
May I share my personal experience? Last summer I crossed both Lithuania and Latvia. I was not happy with the idea to use ATM several times. So, I evaluated my expenses in both countries and withdrawn the appropriate amount from an ATM in Lithuania (I found the first one in a dozen kilometers from the border). Then, when I arrived to Latvia, I changed the rest of my litas into Latvian latas, and spent them all (this was not a big problem as Latvian beer is really ourstanding..) In Estonia I never used cash - even small shops in remote villages are able to accept cards. Furthermore, now euro is the Estonian currency and you will need it anyway in Europe.

In Poland, if you enter there from Russia, you will easily find ATMs next to the border. What are your Polish plans? I can tell you many things about Nothern Poland...
Re: ATM Money dispensing machine [message #229 is a reply to message #222 ] Fri, 18 March 2011 19:53 Go to previous message
romanycz  is currently offline romanycz  Russian Federation
A couple of further comments. In European countries, ATM is called `bancomat', everyone will tell you where it is. This is my first remark. Second, if you experience problems with getting second Russian visa, I have an alternative itinerary `RR1 - Transpolonica Aquilonia', you may see it here

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RR1-Transpolonica-Aquil onia

crossing Vistula river on a small ferry in Gniew.
Previous Topic:Golden ring
Next Topic:Bikes and train in Russia
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 20 17:00:59 MSK 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01001 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.