Home » General » General » Bikes and train in Russia
Bikes and train in Russia [message #208] Wed, 02 February 2011 16:53 Go to next message
cemarleni  is currently offline cemarleni  France
We are a french family: 2 adults and 4 kids (5,7,11 and 12 y.o.) and will be going for a long one year trip with our bicycles. We will cross Europe, arrive in Tallin from Sweden and then intend to cycle to St Petersburg to take a first train to Moscow and then the transiberian to reach Ulan-Bator.
I am seeking informations to know how it can work with all our bikes in the train. We have 2 tandems (they can be folded and them measures around 130*80*40cm) and 2 normal bicycles 150*85*35 cm when packed.
For the first part from St Petersburg to Moskow I was told there is large enough place for bikes in the fast train (sapsan). I we choose this train, are we sure we can climb in it with all our stuff, or do we have to buy a extra-luggage ticket . Is it also possible to take a night train from St Petersburg to Moscow with the bikes ? is it better with the bikes to choose a 2nd or a 3rd class ?

Many travellers managed to travel with their bike, but each time they were on their own. Does someone have the experience with a group ?

Then on the transiberian, it seems also quite complicated, as we do not know in advance if there will be a luggage wagon, and if the waggon chief is going to accept that we take our bikes in it ? Any tip will be welcome. We unfortunately do not speak russian, I am trying to learn the alphabet to be abale to read at leats but I will not be able to speak russian this summer !

Thanks for answering.
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #209 is a reply to message #208 ] Fri, 04 February 2011 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
centurn  is currently offline centurn  Netherlands
I remember there were some article about bicycles and varios trains, but I failed to locate it. So...

It's officially allowed to carry a bicycle in the train with you if it's:
1. Disassembled (in reality it's usually enough to unattach the front wheel)
2. Wrapped in something (It's enough to pack in PE foil, but it's better to have special case, like this: http://pk-99.ru/d/47524/d/10_1.jpg)
3. Fits the places designed for luggage.

The normal bicycles as well as folded tandems with mentioned dimensions will fit these places well. Below are some links to pictures that may show you how to place. We usually place bicycles between 3rd (luggage) shelves in platzkart (It's what you call '3rd class').

http://kzoart.ru/e107_plugins/autogallery/Gallery/VeloCrimea %202008/P1040156.JPG
http://i022.radikal.ru/0907/d4/df27cd4faf6f.jpg
http://kolga96.users.photofile.ru/photo/kolga96/150435691/xl arge/160052600.jpg
http://pk-99.ru/d/47524/d/image_99.jpg

I think it may also help to print this: http://photo.raid.ru/albums/userpics/11267/normal_%EF%F0%EE% E2%EE%E7%20%E2%E5%EB%EE%E2.jpg

It's an official answer on the query about allowing to carry bicycle on above terms. There is (unlikely) possibility that train staff may object to bicycles, so this paper should help.

And there should be no problem travelling in a group. I remember more than 20 bikes in a single train car. Smile

As of St.Petersburg-Moskow, I'd prefer going by normal night train, not Sapsan. I think there's yet not enough information on how easy it's to carry bicycle in Sapsan. I've heard there's not so much luggage space, so 4 bicycles may be too much.

Never mind 'luggage wagon' - just carry the bicycles with you. Smile

Also, maybe when you are here, somebody of local cyclists can show you around the SPB and help loading to train. But it's too much time in advance to plan that now.

Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #210 is a reply to message #208 ] Fri, 04 February 2011 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Shemyak  Finland
Bonjour,

This might be a topic centrum was looking for:
http://velorussia.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=32& #msg_32

It is focused on differences between various types of trains in Russia. That's not exactly what you were asking about, but worth reading anyway. All your trains would be for sure what's called "long-distance trains" in that thread.

There is much more luggage space in "platzkart" than in the "coupee" (lockable cabin for 4 persons) wagons. You are 6 persons, and you'd need 2 cabins, while in "platzkart" you can book the 6 "adjacent" seats. Counter-argument against "platzkart" is that the privacy level is low there; you are not locked, sleeping full night and staying full day among the crowd of other people. That may give some "unique experience" Rolling Eyes

A random picture from the "platzkart" aisle:
index.php?t=getfile&id=21&private=0

Bon voyage!

P.S. Would be great to see a pic of your tandem team Smile

Purchasing train tickets online [message #211 is a reply to message #208 ] Fri, 04 February 2011 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
romanycz  is currently offline romanycz  Russian Federation
Train tickets in Russia can in principle be bought online up to 45 days in advance. "In principle" means that there is only Russian interface on the appropriate website. All long-distance trains require compulsory reservation, with passport data provided. Please note that you can buy at most 4 tickets in one transaction.

When the ticket is purchased, there are several options. First, you can print out so-called `electronic registration' and enter the train presenting self-printed ticket and your passport (I personally do not recommend this option). Second, you may print out the ticket in any ticket office of RZD (Russian Railways) - presenting, of course, your passport. There are also ticket machines in Saint-Petersburg and Moscow, which can print out your ticket.
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #212 is a reply to message #208 ] Fri, 04 February 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for all these answers which give us precise, and helpfull advices. Centurn we will keep your precious russian paper about bikes and regulation !

So we are now convince we can make it in the train in Russia.

You all spoke of platzkart as the best alternative to travel with bike. That's what we wishes to do, as we do not mind if it is crowded, because it is probably much better to meet russians than to be in our own cabin. But there is one problem with platzkart: it seems that it does not exist in direct train from Moscow to Ulan Bator.
The solution is to take a patzkart from Moscow to irkutsk or Ulan Ude, but then trains going to Mongolia have only 2nd class.

When I look at pictures from 2nd class, I do not see any luggage board above the couch or only a very small one where our bicycles will not fit.
The solution could be to take two cabins from Ulan Ude to Ulan Bator, but do I have the right to enter the second class with all the bikes even folded ?

it is really nice from centurn to propose an help when we are Russia if somebody is available. We would be glad to meet russians cyclists.
This site is really informative for us

Here a picture of our tandem. That was earlier, now we have 2 tandems and do not trail any more the baby carrier.
index.php?t=getfile&id=22&private=0

Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #213 is a reply to message #212 ] Fri, 04 February 2011 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dedkav  is currently offline dedkav  Russian Federation
cemarleni wrote on Fri, 04 February 2011 16:42

The solution could be to take two cabins from Ulan Ude to Ulan Bator, but do I have the right to enter the second class with all the bikes even folded ?

yes. it should be ok. you may purchase both cabins "coupee" and put down your bikes on upper berths into one of them.
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #214 is a reply to message #212 ] Sat, 05 February 2011 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
centurn  is currently offline centurn  Russian Federation
It appears that in coupee (2nd class), there are two possible sizes of overhead luggage compartment. Height x Width x Depth: 353 x 1772 x 493 or 309 x 2137 x 468 mm. I've heard some people put 2 normal bicycles there, but surely no more.
So, it looks like indeed you'll have to book 2 coupee cabins. Then there should be plenty of place to put everything... and everyone.

If you doubt rules on that, I think it complies with them if you put your luggage on your unused sleeping places. And even if it doesn't comply... Well, in Russia, the rules and laws are not strictly mandatory. Smile E.g. in some local (not long-distance) trains it's allowed to put no more than 2 bikes per train. But sometimes we put 30 or more just in one carriage. The staff sometimes argues against that, but not too much. Smile

Also if you plan to change the train in Irkutsk or Ulan-Ude, haven't you considered visiting lake Baikal? It's so close there...

As of meeting you here, if you come to Russia e.g. at Saturday, I think there's high enough possibility somebody travel with you to SPB. But of course, on working days, most people are working. But meeting in evening is still possible.

Do you plan to follow R1 route from Ivangorod to SPB?
Do you think to take 2 days ride for that or more?
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #215 is a reply to message #208 ] Sun, 06 February 2011 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
febbre  is currently offline febbre  Australia
Guys, you are absolutely amazing. Do you have a website?
Good luck with your trip!
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #216 is a reply to message #214 ] Mon, 07 February 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spaasiba to all of you.
Now, we are going to take a platzkart for us 6 from Moscow to Ulan Ude.
There, either we take 2 "kuppe" to reach Ulan Bator, or we stop in Ulan Ude and go to Ulan Bator by cycling (we would prefer this solution). That will probably depend on how we can arrange visa for Mongolia and China.

It would be nice to go to lake Ba??kal but I do not know if we have the time to do it. But I certainly feel like going again to Russia to discover it really, and not just from the train.

From Ivangorod, we are perhaps taking the R1 to SPB, we do not know exactly, but if you have good advices about it, we will be glad also. It will certainly last more than two days because the rythm with the children is cool. We have planned an average of 30 km daily. If the road is good, they have already made more than 60, but we do not want to hurry them.

This website is really great for us.

We do not have website for the moment, but it will come in the next weeks.
Thank you for cheering
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #217 is a reply to message #216 ] Tue, 22 February 2011 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
San66  is currently offline San66  Russian Federation

I think it is a bad idea cycling from Ivangorod. Road is ugly as my english
http://kronja.osteopathy.ee/pics/peterburi/original/07.jpg

and has no any intresting places. I think You may going to Gatchina by domestical train, it more intresting then this way.
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #218 is a reply to message #216 ] Mon, 28 February 2011 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Windflyer  is currently offline Windflyer  Russian Federation
Bonjour!

The train from Irkutsk to Ulaanbaatar also includes some Platzkart carriages but they are left behind at Naoushki, the border station. It is 30 km west of Kyakhta, the road border crossing. Alternatively, it is possible to hire a minibus from Ulan-Ude to Kyakhta.

About your preferred option: it is possible to cycle from Ulan-Ude, simply to avoid changing trains again (I can imagine the whole affair) and to see the Ethnographic Museum and the Ivolginsk Datsan - a Tibetan monastery and the centre of Buddhism in Russia. In Novoselenginsk there is a caf? and a museum of the Decembrists. The 'international' road is not top quality but all asphalt/tarmac and rather picturesque. Also, water can be found at village pumps, and you will need camping gear for sleeping, of course far away from curious eyes.

I also strongly advise that you see Lake Baikal.

Bon succ??s!

index.php?t=getfile&id=24&private=0

This is a view of the road leading from Ulan-Ude south to Ulaanbaatar, in the Kyakhta District. I cycled there in 2006.

• Attachment: 000027sm.jpg
    (Size: 152.37KB, Downloaded 1604 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2011 02:00]

Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #219 is a reply to message #217 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
romanycz  is currently offline romanycz  Russian Federation
San66 wrote on Tue, 22 February 2011 01:02
I think it is a bad idea cycling from Ivangorod. Road is ugly and has no any intresting places. I think you may going to Gatchina by domestical train, it more intresting then this way.
Furthermore, I would suggest you to alter your itinerary and drive instead along King's Road in Finland, then coming to SPb. Here are some links:

A brief account

A cyclists' report

Clickable map
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #220 is a reply to message #219 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is very interesting.

First we had thought to come from Sweden to Helsinki with the ferry and then cycle from Helsinky to StPB, but some cyclists told us that the route was not very pleasant because there were a lot of trucks and traffic. So we decided to go to Talliin.

But the tinerary you show, seems quite nice. does someone know how it is from the border to StPB ?

For the last part in Russia, we finally decided to stop the train in U-Ude an then cycle to Mongolia. As windflyer said, we just wish to avoid changing train, and the route between Ulan Ude and the mongolian border seems also nice and not with too many traffic. It will also give us the opportunity to see a bit more Russia.

Schas tli vo
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #221 is a reply to message #220 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Shemyak  Finland
cemarleni wrote on Tue, 01 March 2011 13:14
First we had thought to come from Sweden to Helsinki with the ferry and then cycle from Helsinky to StPB, but some cyclists told us that the route was not very pleasant because there were a lot of trucks and traffic.
Not more than Tallinn-Petersburg route. Also, on the Finnish side, you can (and should!) ride other, smaller roads, than the E7, and on the Russian side, take the coast road via Primorsk. This route is well described here. I thought you have some special arguments to go exactly via Tallinn; if not, then the Helsinki route is definitely better for cycling. (Well I live in Helsinki, so you may consider my opinion as biased Very Happy )
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #223 is a reply to message #208 ] Sat, 12 March 2011 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
usea  is currently offline usea  Australia
Bonjour
My wife and I also intend taking 2cycles on the Transiberian train and have been informed that you will need to buy a luggage ticket for your bikes and they will go in a seperate wagon on the same train.It sounds like most trains do have a seperate luggage wagon.You can put your bikes in the compartment with yourselves but I dont think will have room in your case.If you Google seat61 or Google transiberian trains you will find seat61 there is a lot of handy info on the site and also a link to book Russian train tickets at Real Russia they have been able to answer all my questions. Good luck and bonjourne
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #232 is a reply to message #209 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We are know in st peterburg and will take the night train to moscow on saturday evening (august 6th)
you had eventually proposed some help from local cyclist. If it is possible,it would be great for us. Anyway, we will tell how it went. Thank you for all the tips we found here.
Re: Bikes and train in Russia [message #233 is a reply to message #232 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 10:58 Go to previous message
Pawka  is currently offline Pawka  Russian Federation
Read PM. Send invitation for Saturday trip to Pavlovsk.
Previous Topic:ATM Money dispensing machine
Next Topic:Cycling one month from St Petersburg to the north
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 14 10:18:21 MSK 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00942 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.